Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Of Faith and Boldness – Part I

“You should not, then, be casting away your boldness, which is having a great reward, for you have need of endurance...”  (Hebrews 10: 35, CLNT) 

“Now faith is an assumption of what is being expected, a conviction concerning matters which are not being observed; for in this the elders were testified to.  By faith we are apprehending the eons to adjust to a declaration of God, so that what is being observed has not come out of what is appearing.”  (Hebrews 11:1-2, CLNT)

On recent morning, as I was praying and crying out my woes to God about particular circumstances which were frustrating me and making me feel hopeless, I realized the following:

“Lord, You are my hope and, yet, I find myself losing hope because I know You many not change anything and things could get worse.  My hope lies in You making things better, helping us.  And yet, having faith in You doesn’t necessarily mean seeing you make things better now.”


The circumstances were such where I felt like I was the only one who cared at all.  I kept trying to explain what I saw was wrong to the others involved and kept trying to do something to bring a change, but I only felt like I was banging my head against an unwavering brick wall.  What the Lord brought me to see that morning was that I was starting to feel hopeless because my sense of hope was getting out of focus.  I had begun to place most of my hope in what I hoped God would do right away to improve the circumstances instead of in who He is and the truths that He is faithfully with us through every circumstance and, ultimately, He will set all things right.

“Now faith is an assumption of what is being expected, a conviction concerning matters which are not being observed; for in this the elders were testified to.  By faith we are apprehending the eons to adjust to a declaration of God, so that what is being observed has not come out of what is appearing.”  (Hebrews 11:1-2)

“…In faith died all these, not being requited with the promises, but perceiving them ahead and saluting them, and avowing that they are strangers and expatriates on earth.”  (Hebrews 11:13)

In expectant faith, we are to continue believing and assuming that what we know God promises to do, He will ultimately accomplish, even if we are not observing that taking place in the present day or during our lifetime.  We are to perceive the promises ahead in the future and greet them from afar.


“Oh, the depth of the riches and the wisdom and the knowledge of God!  How inscrutable are His judgments, and untraceable His ways!  For, who knew the mind of the LORD? Or, who became His adviser?  Or, who gives to Him first, and it will be repaid him?  Seeing that out of Him and through Him and for Him is all:  to Him be the glory for the eons!  Amen!”  (Romans 11:33-36)

Our faith and our hope are to be IN HIM: WHO He IS, that He is in control and sovereign over all, in His presence in our lives, and in His promises.  Our faith and our hope are not to be primarily focused in what we observe Him doing or not doing in the present earthly realm.  The circumstances that seem absolutely awful today may blossom into amazing earthly blessings in the future.  Or, the circumstances, which seem absolutely wonderful today, may blossom into earthly sufferings in the future.  And in both cases, the circumstances many not be of much importance at all in the future.  “Yet all is of God” (2 Corinthians 5:18). 

As I walk in faith and live this life I have been given, I must simply do as He leads me to do.  I must do as He’s given me a heart to do.  I cannot force others to do or not do something, to care about the circumstances, or to see the truth or the lies.  I cannot force others to care about what I care about.  I must simply be the individual God has created and molded me to be, live that out, and let the Lord Jesus Christ work in and care for everyone else.  If I’m led to speak, then speak.  If I’m led to correct, then correct.  If I I’m led to pray, then pray.  If I’m led to be silent, then be silent. 

Consequently, then, to whom He will, He is merciful, yet whom He will, He is hardening.  You will be protesting to me, then, ‘Why, then, is He still blaming? For who has withstood His intention?’  O man!  Who are you, to be sure, who are answering again to God?  That which is molded will not protest to the molder, ‘Why do you make me thus?’  Or has not the potter the right over the clay, out of the same kneading to make one vessel, indeed for honor, yet one for dishonor?  (Romans 9:18-21)

As God’s vessel of clays,
We are molded by the potter in whatever way He deems best
We may be emptied
We may be filled
We may be poured out
We may be broken
We may be remolded

May the Lord Jesus Christ and His moving and breathing within me be my primary focus in these circumstances that trouble me.  May all else not be turning into all-consuming and unbearable distress for me.  If who I am, or whatever I am led to say or do, changes nothing at all, then that is to be none of my concern.  I am not the one in control, He is.  I am to trust and leave *all* in His hands.

This is way, way easier for me to write than to act upon.  So I’ll say it again:

If who I am, or whatever I am led to say or do, changes nothing at all, then that is to be none of my concern.  I am not the one in control, He is.  I am to trust and leave *all* in His hands.

My Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ, help me and have Your way with me. 
Our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ, help us and have Your way with us.
Thank you.

Because of God’s super exceeding grace,
Mary Ann



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for your comment. *All* spam will be promptly deleted, so do not waste your time or mine.