Friday, March 24, 2017

Letting Go of Judgment



Reflections from an ever learning sojourner...

Having a non-judgmental attitude is a perpetual work in progress.  Regardless of how far I think I have come in not falsely judging others based on what I see with my eyes, hear with my ears, or feel emotionally, I realize I have yet SO far to go! 

We make judgments in a split second while forgetting there is a story of a lifetime unknown to us.  We cannot possibly grasp the full extent of what has led someone to that moment on which we are placing our quick judgment.

I find myself regularly judging without even realizing I'm doing it!  When awareness kicks in, I understand that I'm making assumptions and judgments based on my personal perceptions, beliefs, ideas, and previous life experiences. In these moments, instead of being angry or disappointed with myself, I want to regularly act on something I've learned through my yoga practice: Acknowledge all thoughts of judgment and immediately let them go, without continuing to give them any more attention or energy. 

The more power we give to something, the more power it maintains over us.  Acknowledge, and let it go.

© MaryAnn Broussard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and for your comment. *All* spam will be promptly deleted, so do not waste your time or mine.